[Discuss] Verizon blacklisted me

Daniel Barrett wrote:
> I am not optimistic about even getting a Verizon rep to
> understand this problem...!

Out of curiosity, do you have residential or business class service?

> I don't know why I'm seeing a "535 5.7.8" error here vs. a "550
> 5.7.0" blacklist error when I send mail through postfix.

I see here:

http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html##FRAMEWORK
(scroll down to "AUTH parameter as part of the 'MAIL FROM:' command")

that it is possible for an MTA to authenticate as part of the 'MAIL
FROM:' command, and Postfix supports that. One could speculate that it
might lead to the confused error message due to a bug on the server or
client side. I'd have to dig deeper to know whether Postfix even uses
this mechanism under typical circumstances.

Regardless, it sounds like it would be worth your while to boost the
logging level on Postfix and see what is going on in the transaction.
Your manual test suggests the problem is on the server side, so it's
unlikely to solve your problem, but it might shed light on the differing
error messages you are seeing.

I also second Bill Bogstad's recommendation to do a sanity check by
trying to relay mail through Verizon directly from a mainstream mail
client, like Thunderbird.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro