[Discuss] vnc

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/25/2014 8:51 AM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> > SSH is a very BAD thing to open up to the free internet. BAD BAD BAD.
> > Once in, you are in. Shell access is dangerous.
>
> Stop right there.
>
> We have been discussing securing VNC connections to X11 desktops running
> on virtual framebuffer devices. In other words: full shell access.

X11 desktop is kind of vague.   X11 does not have to mean access to a shell.
It could very well mean some kind of access to a single (or small set) of
X11 based
applications.  A mythtv frontend is one possibility.   I would agree,
however, that when people
say X11 they are usually talking about a full desktop environment with
window manager
and access to a shell.

Bill Bogstad