[Discuss] Identity management

Hi All,

Well, I'm continuing in my project of upgrading my basement servers to
rhel 7 and I've come to realise
that NIS is long dead... Instead I'm running into Identity Management.
This is giving me a bit of the chills
since there seems to be a whole manual devoted to it and I'm not really
looking forward to having to learn
a whole new way of maintaining my /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

The main bit is I rely heavily on autofs which uses NIS to get its
autofs configuration files.

So... any word of advice to an old hobbiest sysadmin who's about to have
to switch over to IdM?
Specifically what's the current way of maintaining shared NFS mounts so
I can define one login directory (file system) across many linux systems?

thanks.

Steve.