[Discuss] basic fiber optic phone service vs. Fios phone service

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 07:05:24AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 10:46:06PM -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> > But then he went on point out that Verizon is offering two different
> > products. One being Fios phone service, and the other being basic fiber
> > optic phone service. As we know, Fios isn't regulated by the state
> > utility regulators, but notably basic fiber optic phone service is. I
> > hadn't heard of that before.
> >
> > A spokeswoman for the state Department of Telecommunications and Cable
> > (DTC) said, "Because this is a technology upgrade...the department does
> > not have the authority to interfere with this change, so consumers must
> > either switch to fiber or switch carriers."
> >
> > So I guess you are out of luck if Verizon picks you for a forced upgrade
> > and you want to stick with copper.
> >
> > The reporter referenced the DTC's advisory on this matter:
> > http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/dtc/consumer/fiber-migration-advisory-final-6-27-14.pdf
> >
> > A quote from that:
> >
> >   The DTC requires that Verizon make available to all residential
> >   customers in Verizon's service territory a regulated landline voice
> >   telephone service and Verizon claims its fiber service, where offered,
> >   will meet this obligation.
>
> Try ordering that regulated fiber optic phone service.

I don't know what it is called or how it is regulated, but my dad has
fiber phone service from Verizon, because when he travels every winter
he has his home phone deactivated, and one year when he came back in
the spring they told him they could only activate a new line on fiber.
My dad doesn't own any computers or mobile devices and hasn't
subscribed to any pay TV service since approximately 1983.  I believe
he has measured (pay per minute) phone service too.