[Discuss] Please point me to the thread about open-source software project management tools

Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> writes:
> To be sure I'm covering all the bases, I'll ask for more input. Here's
> a summary of what i need:
>
> 1. Handles a small software project with three or four participants
> and a few info-providers to be listed in dependencies.
> 2. GANTT or other charting capability. Any common method will do fine,
> but feel free to recommend your favorite.
> 3. Reporting capability, but nothing fancy.
> 4. Must be no-cost. I can't spend any money.
> 5. If it's web-based, it has to run on a Mac Mini running OS X
> Yosemite and Apache.
> 5. Short, shallow learning curve.
>
> Here are some links I found to various online reports, and I solicit
> comments from the members about the products mentioned.

I used to like MrProject, now named Planner.  It's no longer developed
actively, but was still usable last time I tried.  It has one or two UI
annoyances (probably easily fixed if you know Python and gtk), but
otherwise it satisfies your second 5 very well and should be adequate
for the first half of 1, and for 2 and 4. Not sure about the 2nd half of
one or 3. Obviously, it's not web based (a feature?).

I only used it to track my own time, but it's designed with support for
multiple "resources" whose time you track.  One other possible flaw is
it purposely chose -- I assume for simplicity -- not to keep track of
your original estimated plan vs. current. So if you need to do that
you'll need to use it with version control or otherwise keep around your
original plan's file and compare with multiple application instances,
reports, etc.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Planner/Screenshots

--
Mike Small