[Discuss] Finance software for Linux

I designed and wrote a corporate tax package for a Fortune 100 company in
the late '70s.  I worked very closely with a brilliant CPA.  Together we
designed and validated it on 9 months before relational databases were
popular.  It is one of the 2 or 3 big projects in, my career.  It used IBM
mainframe for data collection and a Univac that had an early spreadsheet
system [Foresight] that allowed a team of tax CPAs to do the forms the IRS
required back when.  The CPAs could maintain and run it without computer
folks intervention.  I got Lots of flack from IT peers but it worked for a
long time.

It was the 2nd computer tax submission to the IRS.  Still had to send 5
copies of paper submission but sent a reel of tape too.

Doing a tax system can be done, but it must be maintainable by tax geeks,
not just computer geeks.

Doing this system got me to understand US taxes.  Convoluted.. Yes.
Logical.. Yes[once you dig in deep enough].  Every tax simplification act
has only added complexity.  To truly simplify we must toss out all old
rules and start the system over, not just patch on fixes.

<>< Jack