[Discuss] Higher-end keyboards to try?

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 04:44:23PM -0500, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> I'm interested in getting a better keyboard, like a Cherry MX type,
> but would like to try out a few first to compare them. Is there a
> computer store in the Boston area where this is possible? That is,
> they've got Cherry red, blue, brown, etc., available to try out?
>
> I tried a friend's Cherry MX Blue at work at it was quite awesome,
> though loud.

I suspect you want a brown, which has about the same tension in the key
switch as a blue but without the click.  The trouble is, so does
everyone else... they're generally the hardest variant to get.  I
recently went though this exercise, and went to Microcenter since I
figured they would have the biggest selection of keyboards in the
store compared to any other retailer I could think of.  And they do...
but they did not have a single MX brown keyboard on the shelf, from
any maker.  Lots of reds, blacks, and blues... no brown.  Not one.

Hopefully that was a temporary problem, and you'll have better luck.

I actually have several mechanical keyboards, and I would recommend
you look at the Corsair Vengeance K90 with MX Brown switches.  And, if
you'd be interested in something with a slightly smaller form factor,
I'd also suggest the CM Storm Quickfire TK, or one of the other boards
in that line.  Good luck finding one you can try though; and if you do
want brown switches you can order on Amazon and it generally takes
about 1-3 months to get, because they're always out of stock.

I would recommend you stay away from Ducky, unless the main reason
you're considering them is price.  They are cheaper, but... you get
what you pay for.  They're not terrible--still better than a standard
membrane keyboard--but the build quality isn't on par with any other
mechanical keyboard I've tried.

-=-=-=-=-