[Discuss] os x = poop?

On 2/11/2015 9:46 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> 1)  Gnu/Linux distros generally don?t ?flake out?.

It does depend on what you throw at them. Then again, the last time I
was able to consistently get Linux to crash was when ext3 was still a
standalone patch and there was a memory conflict with ALSA somewhere,
somehow.

> 2)  Sure Xcode is better than eclipse.

What isn't? :)

And for that matter, LLVM and Clang really are better than Gnu's
compiler collection these days.

> 3)  Yeah the Apple guys have been complaining about the latest
> version of OS X.

ITYM "latest four versions of OS X." No smiley.

> 4)  [...] Of course if you?re using Win or Mac specific tools?

Therein lies the rub. The list of caveats after "it just works" has been
getting longer and longer with each successive release of OS X.

> 5)  " Lately I run a mix of Debian and Ubuntu and package management
> is a pain and only getting worse?  Really!?  The vomit of non-package
> management on the mac is better than apt-get?

Yeah. OS X is pretty awful that way.

> 6)  "I also think Docker is pretty cool, with additional integration
> it could replace current package management since everything could be
> within the container.?

Docker... is a neat idea but it's nothing new. Like you say, it wants to
be BSD jails. There are worse things to want to be when one grows up.

--
Rich P.