[Discuss] Most common (or Most important) privacy leaks

On Friday, February 20, 2015 06:54:37 AM Jerry Feldman wrote:

> > I think the idea is to give the ability to communicate to the system
> > "Yes, I'm logging in, but I'm being coerced -- but don't let on that
> > you know, because I'm in danger if this doesn't appear to work".
>
> I agree with this. This should also be employed in home security systems
> also.

The problem with "coercion" codes is that they are only a delaying tactic, and
tend to lead to hostage-taking. No matter how prompt the response, the best
result which might be attained is that the criminals will abandon their attack
when they find out help is on the way.

That leaves a property-owner in  a worse situation than before: he still has
the asset, to be sure, but he's also still vulnerable, and the attackers now
know that he was able to trick  them, which is not a good place to put a
Sociopath.

As a rhetorical discussion, coercion codes seem like great James Bond stuff.
However, in practice, they are both dangerous and unreliable - could /you/
enter one without giving any clue? - and, truth be told, they require a degree
of dedication and bravery few can measure up to.

For those entrusted with other people's money or secrets, the game is over
before it starts. It's not their property, no skin off their ears, and the
worst penalty for cooperation is a few boring hours with police investigators
and a need to find another job.

Someone protecting his own fortune will almost always have other safeguards in
place, from the mundane use of a secondary account which doesn't have
electronic access, to the need for a business partner or other trusted third
party to supply part of an access code, or even kidnap and ransom insurance
that will cover the loss.

Those  whom lay hands on people are penalized *much* more harshly than those
who commit crimes against property, and criminals know that. For the same
reason that a burglar might decide to go unarmed, a cyber-attacker is likely
to know a lot about my habits and routine *before* the attack, since the real
wet work puts him over the line into *armed* robbery, and a minimum of six or
seven more years on his sentence.

Forget anything you saw in movies: nobody moves millions of dollars  around,
or even tens of thousands, without safeguards that obviate the need for
courage-under-fire. Corporate secrets are never entrusted to a single
individual, "X" never marks the spot, and no matter how valuable the software,
design, or manufacturing technique may be, it's *always* cheaper to go around
it or figure a different method, instead of entertaining thoughts of being under
the thumb of thugs who will be back for more, again and again.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
William Warren Consulting