[Discuss] OT: Do CS grads need calculus?

I agree most CS majors will never 'need' calculus in their direct work.
Learning Calculus, like philosophy, history, etc, makes for a well rounded
education that CS, and other majors need.  It helps round out the thinking
process.

This is from someone that was a CS major.  I had calculus, and surprisingly
used it a few times directly related to may job, even when others around
didn't understand what I did.  I worked on mainframes to micro's and
embedded systems, from user support, sysadmin, programmer, and systems
maintainer and designer over the years, everywhere from banking, to the oil
patch, to VOIP provider and even helped design, build, and occupy a few of
non-trivial data centers for companies private use and public colo's over
the years.  Yes a few 'never done before' multiple person-year projects
that felt so good when they were over.

Calculus, like sorting algorithms, are just items in the tool box that make
a for better preparation for life, even if they are never used directly.
The though process and philosophy of how to approach problems are
invaluable again and again in personal and corporate life.

I am retired now, and my GPA would have been MUCH higher if calculus wasn't
in there.  Still, I am glad I took, and passed, calculus and differential
equations.

All that said, I hope everyone takes chemistry, physics, math through
calculus, mechanical design/build class (drafting & 'shop'), even kitchen
science (home economics in the old terms), 'business math' (how to keep
books, write checks, balance checking accounts, do interest calculations,
break even and profitability analysis, and even correctly count change
without a register or calculator - the basic functions needed to run a
business or a household).  Music (read music and play something a little
bit, to be able to enjoy and appreciate, not to be a virtuoso), philosophy,
public speaking (even dance), some physical education (that I was horrible
at ever time I took it).  Somewhere along the way I learned to 'estimate'
calculations, and use a slide rule (it helped learn how to estimate).

I wish I was better at foreign languages (Spanish, Chinese, some Italian
and Russian would be good too) would be helpful, and more so learned
earlier in life rather than later.

All these things add to the wonderful tapestry of life.

So yes, learning calculus, at least understanding the principles, is
important in life.