[Discuss] About to rip out systemd and start over

On 5/21/2015 4:50 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> The bottom line is it looks like I need to carve out a weekend, or a week, to
> swap out the distro on which my home-server systems are built. Should I
> embrace or toss out systemd when I choose this new platform?

A few aspects of systemd's philosophy are actually quite good for
servers. The idea that a daemon's environment is consistent whether it's
started manually or automatically is one of them. The actual
implementation is terrible. It conceals the environment from users and
administrators. This makes it difficult to diagnose problems. This is
not conducive to server operations.

TL;DR: toss it.

I'm still partial to Debian. It's a good OS for servers. It is easy to
eviscerate systemd with a few exceptions like MPIO, and migration to
Devuan should be a painless process.

I'm still looking seriously at PC-BSD and TrueOS. I just got a new
notebook and I'm going to dual-boot PC-BSD at some point in the coming
weeks. If you're starting or restarting from scratch then I think that
PC-BSD is worth considering.

--
Rich P.