[Discuss] SSD lifespan & monitoring

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, after all that hype last month about how SSDs would start losing
> data if they're not turned on? As is typical for hype it was based on a
> gross misinterpretation of the paper.

That's good news and not surprising. I wonder, though, how to tell when an SSD is "worn". They don't provide the same SMART data as hard drives. They do have a lot of data protection logic, compared to SDcards like the one which wore out on my raspberry pi a few months (costing me hours of recovery effort, and a pledge to never-again trust SDcard).

What monitoring tools exist for SSD? How would I learn to trust these?

-rich