[Discuss] SSD lifespan & monitoring

Rich P wrote:
> Also, I suggest changing that pledge to doing regular backups.

Ever since a 1998 burglary, dual-redundant fully-automated offline, local, and
cloud backups, with continuous saves of every modified file, have been part of
my repertoire. I do it three different ways with three different types of
software, including my home-brew rsnapshot-based setup--with encryption
throughout to keep prying eyes out.  Odds I'll lose /data/ are dramatically
lower than that of a typical small/medium business facing a loss event.

However, odds that I'll lose massive amounts of /time/ recovering from a lost
root volume are 100% every time it happens.

Know of any way to create a continuously- (or at least
frequently-and-automatically) updated root volume backup?

At work, I manage root volumes very differently than at home: using ansible
(or in the past, chef), I have a set of tools to take a bare-bones cloud
instance of Ubuntu to whatever system role we need.  I had that at home circa
2011 but without an army of engineers to maintain it, I found that approach
unsustainable.

-rich