[Discuss] [Position-available] Sr. Systems Administrator @NPR (in the Innovation District)

To post your own position-available or position-wanted
message, please follow the procedure at:
http://blu.wikispaces.com/job+posting+policy

Overview
=======

What we are looking for:
	? Creativity, initiative and acute attention to detail
	? Thirst for innovation and ?thinking outside the box?.
	? Vigor for automating everything repetitive.
	? Obsession with software scalability and performance under high loads.
	? Love for using and contributing to open-source software.
	? Honesty, friendly attitude and good sense of humor.

We are looking for a talented and knowledgeable Linux System Administrator with DevOps experience: someone skilled in and passionate about Linux, server, network and storage infrastructure as well as automation. We are looking for a person who learns fast and can figure things out independently?can show us a better way of managing, monitoring and continuously deploying complex systems to the web.

We run a highly reliable and scalable Linux-based private infrastructure with a virtualized fleet of servers deployed to multiple geo-locations. We are passionate users of and contributors to the open-source software. Current application stack includes: Java, PHP and Node.js software talking to MySQL and ElasticSearch, as well as: various document databases and key/value stores.

Why work at NPR matters
====================

A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility ? our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.

Essential Duties Include
==================

A Senior Systems Administrator is primarily responsible for managing, monitoring and automating operations of a high-availability, high-scalability server infrastructure, performing in-depth performance tuning, as well as hardware troubleshooting and maintenance when necessary.

Qualifications
==========

	? Must have 5-7 years relevant work experience
	? Fluency in Linux system administration (preferably in Debian/Ubuntu)
	? Fluency in Linux scripting: shell scripting, lightweight PHP and/or Perl scripting.
	? Fluency in administering Apache and/or Nginx web-servers
	? Extensive experience administering Linux in a virtualization environment (we primarily use xen)
	? MySQL administration and troubleshooting experience
	? Experience with clustered file system technologies such as Isilon, Gluster, etc
	? Experience with TCP/IP networking technologies (routing, switching, Cisco, Brocade, F5, etc)
	? Experience with content delivery networks such as Akamai and Limelight.
	? Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Rackspace, Openstack, etc
	? Solid track record of deploying and scaling redundant infrastructure
	? Experience with document databases (preferably MongoDB)
	? Experience working with at least one of:
		? Chef
		? Puppet
		? SaltStack
		? Jenkins CI
		? Capistrano
	? Proven ability to write clear, concise documentation
	? Cares greatly about automation and has little tolerance for repetitive manual work
	? Ability and willingness to travel to and from hosting facilities in the Boston region (primarily East Somerville), occasionally transporting servers

Bonus Points for
=============

	? Experience working with a version control system (SVN or Git preferred).
	? Experience with monitoring tools such as Nagios, Zabbix, Cacti, etc.
	? Advanced scripting/programming chops.
	? ?Addiction? to building fault-tolerant, highly reliable systems.

Job Type
=======

	? This is a full-time, on-site (occasional telecommuting), permanent position [direct hire]
	? You?ll be working as part of a small (3 person) team.
	? Compensation is $70K - $100K plus an impressive benefits package (medical/dental/life, 403b, on-call compensation, etc)

What else?
========

	? We are a Linux and Mac-friendly group, if that?s your kind of thing.
	? We are located in the Innovation District in south Boston, within 5-10 walking minutes of a great range of restaurants & South Station
	? We are diverse, lifelong learners.
	? We are a friendly bunch and expect the same from you, too.

Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you! Please apply directly on our website.
Here?s the link to this specific job:

https://careers-npr.icims.com/jobs/2440/sr.-systems-administrator/job