[Discuss] Fwd: Hey FCC, Don't Lock Down Our Wi-Fi Routers | WIRED

> Vendors will do what they think will generate the most revenue for the
> least total cost. The ones which have been making profits from selling
> inexpensive hardware with crap stock firmware intended to be replaced
> with DD-WRT and the like, which costs them nothing to maintain or
> support, will continue to make inexpensive hardware that will run DD-WRT
> and the like. Changing a component on a main board is cheap; changing an
> entire business model is expensive.

This is what I never understood -- why the heck do companies spend any
money at all making lousy firmware when they could just simply load a
stock OpenWRT at no cost and be done with it? If this is what everyone
is doing anyway, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

John