[Discuss] Linux on laptops

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:19:27PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> I'm looking for a small, light, cheap, laptop to run linux. I prefer
> either ubuntu desktop or fedora.

I think the best approach is to figure out what laptops you're
interested in buying, and then look for guides about installing Linux
on them to see if there's anything weird about it.  I've installed
Linux on probably 8 or so laptops in the last 10 years, and didn't
have any significant issues with any of them.  Probably 4 of those
were work-supplied Lenovos...  But I've found that as long as your
laptop has supported video (virtually all Intel, nVidia, ATI), you'll
be fine.  The only issue I had that comes to mind is I had an ACER
ultrabook whose card reader slot was initially not supported... but
eventually was.

-=-=-=-=-