[Discuss] Stallman stubborn

Those earlier compilers were free in the sense that you didn't have to
pay for them, but most were not freely distributable in the way that
GCC is. For starters, they were offered only for operating systems
that were not in themselves free. And most of them did not distribute
source code, so they could not be modified to work with other
processors or OSes.