[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:56:41PM -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 12:44 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> > some HR-related process to update some other directory service.  But
> > it is there, if people want to use it, and it could potentially be
> > tied into existing systems to enable users to update their own info in
> > the corporate directory.
>
> Not on my watch it won't. Users don't get to manipulate the
> organization's authoritative directory.

Sure, and at many sites, that's the right policy.  But a less
restrictive policy might be appropriate at many other sites.  At the
least, you might want people to be able to update their own home phone
numbers...  AFAIK the standard chfn can't be that flexible, but
someone with a bit of C skill could easily modify it to do that.

All I'm suggesting is, though it is outmoded in general, it still
might be worth at least a mention...

-=-=-=-=-