[Discuss] Local ISP Recommendations?

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 04:28:21PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> > From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> > Behalf Of Kent Borg
> >
> > I am looking for ISP recommendations. In Somerville.
>
> When I lived in Somerville a few years ago, the only choices were Comcast and RCN cable. We had both, and while customer service is shitty for both, RCN seems to be considerably less evil in opposition to net neutrality, bring your own hardware, and stuff like that. I don't know if you can get a static IP, but you can use dynamic dns. I use FreeDNS. Be aware that all the ISP's that I know of will block inbound access when/if they feel like it.

I use RCN in Waltham. A static IP is an extra $5-15/month
depending on how they are feeling, but they don't block any
ports except 137-139 if you get one.

RCN has no visible IPv6 deployment plan.

They are very reliable up until the moment that they suddenly
have an outage, but everyone is like that.

They can deal with CableCards in weird devices, mostly by
handing you a CableCard and asking for the equipment ID.

Prices are much better for new customers than old, and they
pretty much have no concept of retaining customers by offering
to discount services. Every year the price goes up, and if you
aren't committed to them, you should probably bounce between
them and whomever.

Comcast has been voted Worst Company In America far too many
times, and they seem to revel in it. Avoid them.

-dsr-