[Discuss] Local ISP Recommendations?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 12:36:15PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> The risk of being hacked is *not* so much the risk of someone
> accessing your mail. It's the risk of someone doing illegal shit
> on your system, and you getting the blame for it. Try 10 years in
> prison, and being permanently registered as a sex offender, probably
> getting divorced, because someone thought that was *your* kiddie
> porn. You find yourself in the position of being presumed guilty,
> having to prove your innocence, because illegal material was indeed
> found in your system, or in your account.

Has this scenario, that someone uses another's system or ip to
download child porn or violate copyrights, ever happened to anyone
in a real legal case where the innocent party wasn't able to
establish his or her innocence? It's something I've wondered about
in considering whether to open a wireless access point for neighbours
and passers by.  Now I don't think either of my laptops' wireless
chips can function as access points but I'm curious about it still:
perhaps in the future I'll have something to offer.  As I recall,
the EFF tended to be quite dismissive of this possibility when they
were promoting the idea that people share their internet connections.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org