[Discuss] Delivering mail to folders

Quick update: Just yesterday I contracted with Verizon for residential
class triple play.  Giving up static IP, but going from promised
16Mbps/? (actual 2Mbps/12Mbps) to promised 150Mbps/150Mbps and all told
about $100+ less per month.

I also got a server on Linode and set up Postfix/Dovecot.  It's all very
different than my current install and some of it I got wrong, like
Dovecot wasn't showing my "inbox" from /var/mail/.  I also complicated
things by trying to use an SSL certificate from https://letsencrypt.org
instead of self-signed, and I'm using another domain name I control
instead of thekramers.net so my mail keeps working while I do this,
hoping I can add that as another domain later.  Primarily following
https://www.linode.com/docs/email/postfix/email-with-postfix-dovecot-and-mysql

Current status:
I backed up /etc and nuked Postfix and Dovecot and starting over.
Probably a bad idea, but I did too much of the original install
following directions I didn't understand, which is bad.  Looking for
other directions, many of them are way too old (Like Ubuntu 12.02 old).

The Fios install is 02/05 so I would REALLY like to have this working by
then.  Otherwise I have to point my domain at the dynamic IP address I get.

Specific questions:
- The main issue I had with the install (before I nuked it) was Dovecot
wasn't showing mail in /var/mail/david.  Maybe that's a stupid little
thing.  I also coudn't log in from my Android phone (certs prolly) but I
think I am logging in from Thunderbird.  Can't see the mail though so
not sure.  I can restore the config easily as I made a backup.  Did I
panic too soon? should I restore it and try again to fix those specific
problems, and the others mentioned here?

- I currently use Postfix and Dovecot on my home server, and I use
procmail for local delivery.  Procmail is providing critical
functionality as I have tons of per-user and global rules that eliminate
spam and deliver mail to specific mailboxen (not so many that I couldn't
rewrite them in another format if needed).  It looks like the current
way of doing things is to make Postfix hardly do anything and Dovecot
does most of the heavy lifting, including SASL and local delivery, so I
need to do things differently.  I can only find one page on integrating
procmail with Dovecot (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/procmail) and it is both
old, and internally inconsistent (references vars by the wrong name,
etc) so I don't trust it.

How do others set up Postfix/Dovecot in a way that allows flexible
rules-based delivery to specific mailboxes? I see "Sieve" mentioned a
lot but not much detail. Certainly not finding "This is how you set up
Postfix/Dovecot/Sieve" pages which makes me question how much it's used.

- letsencrypt sounded like a good option at the time, but it is still
kinda in beta, and I couldn't connect my phone to the mail server, even
saying "ssl accept any certificate".  Is that a good option? I'm willing
to pay a reasonable price for a cert if I can use it for web and mail
and there are advantages over free ones.

- If I work on this more tonight, is anyone willing to help out a bit
via email or irc?  In the past I've tried "I need this to happen so I
will pay for help" option on BLU and got no responses, and this is time
sensitive, but I also don't want to end up with a server config I don't
understand even if it does work

Thanks.  I'm willing to RTFM and figure it out but it's been tough
wading through the obsolete stuff and the pages that talk about things
in general but not enough information to implement it.