[Discuss] Encrypt Everything? Good Luck With That

On 3/29/2016 1:48 AM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> ?(And this wasn't even the SBS's operational phone, it was his work
> phone, so it's still just posturing. They'll be back when they have
> something else they think public opinion might back them on.)?

The FBI's choice of case and approach have caused my incipient paranoia
to start blooming, and I'm wondering when someone is going to say
"Ignore that man behind the curtain".

I supposed alleged terrorists aren't likely to draw much public
sympathy, but the FBI has always been the most savvy of the federal
agencies when it comes to self-promotion, and picking a fight with Apple
just doesn't seem like good PR to me. It might be that someone at the
NSA has a score to settle at the Hoover building, and the FBI heard
deafening silence when they asked the Puzzle Palace to take a look in
the iPhone they seized, but to go against Apple - in an election year,
no less - strikes me as currying the wrong sort of favor.

I suppose there's a wheel within this wheel: perhaps someone with a
finger in the FBI's budget pie wanted to strong-arm a hefty campaign
contribution from Apple. It's also possible that Apple's execs wanted
some free ink and to boost the iPhone's reputation for security, and
that everyone inside the beltway knew how this would play out months ago.

Still, it's too easy to assume a hidden puppeteer when trying to explain
confusing events, so I'm trying to find some logical reason for the
imbroglio that doesn't require underhanded back-room deals. However, the
contradictions pile up faster than the logical conclusions:

1. If the FBI were trying to slide a software version of the Clipper
chip through the back door (pun intended), then they'd have to be aware
that Apple could just code around it with the next point release of IOS.

2. If the Hooverites thought they could establish a legal precedent
which would obligate any firm to provide free software design, testing,
coding, and support at their whim, then their bureaucratic compass needs
to be realigned: it's pointing in a direction that Americans no longer
want to go, and which not even right wing conservatives want them to
choose.

3. If the San Bernardino shootings have become a way to test the
political winds, that means this trial balloon is made of lead: nobody I
can think of wants the FBI to have access to their secrets. The fact
that Hoover routinely blackmailed members of Congress to build the
foundation which his marble edifice rests on has got to weighing heavily
in any decision - again, in an election year - that lawmakers would make.

4. I suppose the FBI might be currying favor with TheDonald, and hoping
that whomever gets elected would remember them as being tough on terror.

Still, I get the feeling that we're all being sent to find a broomstick.

Bill