[Discuss] How to write .htaccess rules

Laura,
A few thoughts. You may need to have loaded mod rewrite in your main apache
server configuration. Look up mod rewrite.
I would put this in the virtual server configuration not in an htaccess
file.
Unless it's required to propagate the ability to set server directives to
authorized users or have many settings that vary by directory I disable
htaccess files all together and keep server settings in one place.
You also might want to search for http 301 error, which may be appropriate
as well and may not use mod rewrite.
Finally rather than explain i Suggest that the default  default be the home
page of the new site for now. Be sure a general rule is not overriding a
more specific rule.
Finally, I'd search "wordpress to drupal migration mod rewrite", which i
have not done yet on your behalf.
Sincerely,
John Hall