[Discuss] Govt Source Code Policy

| On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 12:47:40PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
| > On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 12:36:55 -0400
| > Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:
| >
| > > I'm perfectly good with the current method we use in Waltham: you
| > > fill out your paper scantron ballot, you put it in the machine
| > > yourself, the vote counter increments, and your ballot is saved
| > > in the lockbox for recounts or verification.
| > >
| > > It involves software, but not much.
| > >
| > > -dsr-
| >
| > The system you articulate would be even better if it gave the voter a
| > receipt showing his/her choices. I like the lockbox for the paper
| > ballots.
|
| Actually, such a receipt is a really bad idea -- it has enabled
| vote selling. There are various schemes to enable voters to get
| some token from the machine which signifies that they voted and
| can handle verification that the vote was counted, but they are
| always much more complex and expensive... and prone to rigging.
| -dsr-

Indeed; when such schemes have been tried,  the  inevitable
result  is  employers giving their employees a page listing
how to vote, with the understanding that if you don't  have
the  proper voting receipt, you shouldn't bother showing up
at work at al.

   _'
 <:#/>  John Chambers
   +   <jc at trillian.mit.edu>