[Discuss] Boot issues

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:34:06AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I somehow messed up one of my Fedora 23 systems where all the setuid bits
> got cleared. I have since fixed just about all of them. But, the one issue
> remains is that I can't boot into the graphical.target (formerly run level
> 5). I have since set the default target to multiuser.target (formerly run
> level 3). I then log in and startx. I'm sure I missed setting a setuid bit
> somewhere.

This is the sort of thing that system back-ups are useful for... also
the package managers generally have functionality for this now, and
there are some system tools that you can use to verify the ownerships
and permissions of installed packages.  I think you might get what you
want with:

  yum verify-all

But I haven't run Fedora in quite a while and my memory is very hazy.

Though to be honest the way I generally handle this kind of problem
these days is to keep /home on a separate partition, and just do a
fresh install when things go bad (which, since this is Linux, happens
exceedingly rarely).

-=-=-=-=-