[Discuss] Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest LX Saturday June 4, 2016

Boston Linux Installfest LX
When:  Saturday June 4, 2016, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Where: MIT Building E-51, Room 061
       2 Amherst St, Cambridge
       Plenty of free parking in the parking lot in front of E-51.
        http://mitiq.mit.edu/mitiq/directions_%20parkinge51.htm
What you need to bring: Your computer, monitor, power strips and your
Linux distributions. We do have copies of some distributions.
In general we have expertise with most distros, but if you need special
expertise, please email the BLU discussion list in advance. Today, most
distros are using Live CDs that you can try out and then install.
Additionally, CD images can be pushed onto USB sticks using various USB
creators.

COST: It's free! However, we DO have expenses, and contributions are
welcome. Please consider contributing $25 per machine.
Our volunteers will help you to install Linux on your own system.  While
Linux runs on most systems, some systems do have configurations and
hardware that may not be supported. Please consult the following web
pages for hardware compatibility.

 Linux Howto Pages: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html
      Linux Frequently Asked Questions: http://tldp.org/docs.html#faq
        Additionally, there are forums and listservs for most distros.

Generally our volunteers have sets of the latest Fedora, SuSE and Ubuntu
distributions:
      * Fedora - https://getfedora.org/ (Fedora 23 Live DVD/USB and
fedora 24 beta)
      * Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com ( 16.04 LTS DVD/USB)
      * other distros can be downloaded at the Installfest

We generally have them on local drives and can burn CDs/DVDs and USBs.
Since there are many variants of these distros, we advise you to bring an
empty USB stick with sufficient memory to hold one of the distros. LiveCD
images required under 1GB, full DVD images for Fedora require about 4GB,
and OpenSuSE needs 8GB. I usually have some USBs prepared.

We generally have both a Wired and Wireless network available. The
wireless SSID at MIT is "MIT".

In addition, you can run Linux on your Windows PC through a virtual machine
manager, such as Virtualbox. You can install this in your Windows machine
and run Linux as a guest OS, or install it in your Linux machine and run
Windows as a guest. VirtualBox 5.0.20.
(http://www.virtualbox.org.) is free and is available for Linux, Windows
10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista. Additionally, there
are also some VMWare clients that are also free for Windows.

Lunch is generously sponsored by Bluefin Technical Services, John Ross and
Ron Thibeau

Please refer to the BLU website (http://www.blu.org) for further
information and directions. Parking is free and available in front of the
building on Amherst St. Enter the building, and take the elevator to your
left down 1 floor. Room 061 is opposite the elevator.

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F