[Discuss] Boston Linux Meeting reminder, Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - A Graybeards's Worst Nightmare - How Docker Containers are Re-Defining the Linux OS -

When:  June 15, 2016 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
Topic: A Graybeards's Worst Nightmare - How Docker Containers are
Re-Defining the Linux OS
Moderator: Daniel Riek , Senior Director, Systems Design and Engineering
, Red Hat Software
Location: MIT Building E-51, Room 315 ***

How container technology such as Docker, is changing GNU/Linux

Abstract:

OCI (aka Docker) containers are having a deep impact on the Linux
operating system (OS) that goes well beyond DevOps and "cloud native"
applications. The concepts of application-centric packaging, process
isolation through Linux containers, and immutable infrastructure are
shaking up the core traditions of today's GNU/Linux operating systems.
These concepts are also challenging the assumptions and approaches
derived from the past forty-plus years of work that originated with
UNIX. The Linux distribution as we know it is coming to an end, and is
being replaced by a new concept of containerized, multi-instance,
multi-user applications, which can be deployed in scale-out
environments. This presentation provides an assessment and outlook on
this new OS environment and takes a deep look at the consequences that
this new OS model has for both developers and operators.

For further information and directions please consult the BLU Web site
http://www.blu.org
Please note that there is usually plenty of free parking in the E-51
parking lot at 2 Amherst St, or directly on Amherst St.

After the meeting we will adjourn to the official after meeting meeting
location at The Cambridge Brewing Company
http://www.cambridgebrewingcompany.com/

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix