[Discuss] Converting Windows to Linux

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:37:55 -0500
"Greg Rundlett (freephile)" <greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
> greg at freephile.com> wrote:
>

> > The Windows Boot Manager is installed into a 272 MB partition, and
> > there is also a 1 GB "reccovery" partition on the same SSD drive.
> > I wonder if I can just combine these two partitions and "reserve
> > them for BIOS boot area", meaning install Grub there.
> >

> I chose to just overwrite the 272 EFI Windows Boot Manager with Grub2
> I'm reformatting the 1 GB partition to XFS and mounting at /home
> (which I will expand after install)

Danger Will Robinson!!!

On some computers with faulty UEFI, overwriting or deleting the EFI
partition can permanently brick the computer.

*
  https://medium.com/@varunmittal91/101-brick-lenovo-uefi-computer-in-three-easy-steps-ab48acb789d8

*
  https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/252073/does-the-the-thinkpads-still-gets-bricked-when-installing-linux

Sure, the user has to make some mistakes for this to happen, but it
BRICKS the computer: No simply reinstalling the OS.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb