[Discuss] I Hate Ubuntu

On 5/9/2018 10:51 AM, Mike Small wrote:
> So maybe the problem is with wanting one operating system to fit all
> problems. Was listening to a John Maddog Hall interview where he
> described the "bad old days" when there were 7 or 8 operating system on
> PDP _'s (forget the model he named), each for different purposes,
> e.g. real time, real time but not so much as the last one, ...  So now
> maybe the time is ripe to swing back a little.

This seems a significant part of it. It is possible to have "one" OS
that fits different purposes given sufficient resources for the task.
Microsoft of course does this with the two major branches of Windows,
desktop editions and Server. Likewise Red Hat with the Server and
Workstation editions of RHEL. Canonical used to do this with the Ubuntu
server editions but now the only difference between Ubuntu desktop and
server is the default package sets, and server has a text based
installer. Therein lies the rub. Netplan might make perfect sense on
appliances like tablets and game consoles but it has no business being
on professional workstations and servers.

As an aside, some PDP applications were the operating systems. MUMPS at
MGH for example.

--
Rich P.