[Discuss] Linux on a Chromebook

Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> writes:

> Has anyone here run native Linux on a Chromebook? I don't mean running
> under Chrome OS (I don't trust Chrome OS), but a native Linux boot.
>
> I realize these things are low-powered, that's okay. I basically want
> a Raspberry PI-calibre machine, but with nice packaging, to use as
> notebook, for narrow purposes.
>
> Is this a sensible thing to do? (What should I look for in selecting
> hardware?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -kb

The guys who did the podcast Garbage were into running OpenBSD on them
(and porting it to them). Sounded like a headache if you don't want an
exercise in driver development, but usually Linux has better hardware
support earlier, so maybe using it would be simpler. Interesting topic
for podcast episodes, though, even if you've already decided against it:

Episodes 37 and earlier here have some mention of Chromebooks:
https://garbage.fm/
And there's this linked from one of the episodes:
https://jcs.org/notaweblog/2016/08/26/openbsd_chromebook/

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org