[Discuss] Changing Comcast Modem to Bridged

A couple years ago we changed to comcast as our ISP and
incorporated their modem into our network topology providing
the dhcp, NAT and wireless functions.

Prior to this we had a DSL modem and WRT54G running tomato.
The modem provided dhcp so it was the gateway address.

I now want to put the Comcast modem in bridge mode and have
my wireless router running dd-wrt provide the dhcp and NAT
for the wireless and wired LAN.

According to the research I've done there are only two ip
address options for setting up the modem in bridge mode.
10.0.0.1 or 192.168.100.1.

My current network subnet mask is 255.0.0.0 for the dozen or
so devices that have static IP's. I do not provide any
services outside the local LAN but within I have a backup
server that serves a number of devices.

As I understand it the modem IP in bridged mode wants to be
on a different subnet that the internal LAN which would lead
me to believe that the 192 prefixed IP address would be the
choice, this is question #1

Once I've setup the modem with the correct IP then will the
router now become the gateway?

I have the Cisco DPC3941T modem, has anyone on here set up
the bridge themselves, I see the option in the management
GUI, or per my web searching this change can only be done
correctly by the right Comcast personel remotely?

Well that's the gist of it, did I leave out anything?

--
Jim Kelly-Rand
jbk at kjkelra.com