Reminder: BLU Desktop GNU/Linux SIG Meeting - Learn Zim - Weds, Dec 11, 2013

Will Rico willrico at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 11:02:39 EST 2013

When: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:30PM

Location: Akamai, 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA ­

Directions
    http://www.akamai.com/html/about/driving_directions.html
    Also easily accessibly by T.

Notes

        1) Please note the location is different from BLU's
           standard MIT meeting location.

        2) Akamai has generously agreed to provide space
           and 'free as in food' for this meeting.
           Thank you to our sponsor!
           http://www.akamai.com/

Summary

        Learn Zim: The Free Replacement for Evernote
        And Solution to Chaos in Your Life

Abstract

        Zim (http://zim-wiki.org) is a desktop wiki and a wonderful
        piece of free software that competes well with proprietary
        alternatives like Evernote.

        As we get ready to head into 2014, why not use Zim to
        bring some order to our lives? Zim can be used as a
        topic-based notebook, organizer, document editor, journal,
        collection manager, and more.

        We're fortunate to have Brendan Kidwell as our speaker.
        Brendan will start his talk with an introduction to Zim,
        followed by an overview of use cases, with a series of
        short demos about solving particular problems like:

          + task tracking
          + diary
          + drafting a paper
          + making a web site
          + syncing notebooks across computers
          + and more!

        Based on audience interest, Brendan can also answer
        questions about his experience building a Windows installer
        for the app and contributing to this free software project.

Transportation & Parking

    The Akamai office is a short walk from the
    Kendall Square T stop and other public
    transportation.

    Metered parking is normally available near our location.

More Events & Announcements

    Python for Systems Administration
    Wednesday, December 18 at MIT
    http://www.blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2013-dec

    Galileo, Linux, and the Internet of Things
    Wednesday, January 15, Location TBD
    http://www.blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2014-jan

    Internet Festival of Things Festival
    Saturday, February 22 at MIT