Reminder: BLU Desktop GNU/Linux SIG Meeting - LibrePlanet Preview + Advocating for Free Software - Weds, Mar 6, 2013

Will Rico willrico at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:34:49 EST 2013

When: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:30PM

Location: Akamai, 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA ­

Directions
http://www.akamai.com/html/about/driving_directions.html

Notes

        1) Please note the location is different from our
           standard MIT meeting location.

        2) Akamai has generously agreed to provide space
           and 'free as in food' for this meeting.
           Thank you to our sponsor! http://www.akamai.com/

Summary

        LibrePlanet Preview +
        How You Can Advance the Cause of Free Software

Abstract

        Part 1
        The Free Software Foundation's annual LibrePlanet conference
        is coming to Cambridge March 23-24th. We are excited to have
        Libby Reinish, FSF campaigns manager, join us to share
        highlights of the upcoming event.

        This is your chance to get the inside scoop on the two-day
        LibrePlanet event and to find out which days, sessions and
        networking opportunities you won't want to miss.

        Part 2
        For the second part of our meeting, Libby will talk to us
        about how each of us can further help the cause of free
        software.  You love free software and you value the
        principles of transparency, community and technological
        advancement that free software embodies.  But...

        -- How do you spread the good news to your family and
           friends?  How do you do so without being judgmental or
           dismissive?
        -- How can you contribute to free software projects?
        -- What are technical & non-technical (non-programming)
           ways to help the free software cause?

        Libby has the answers and will share them with us at this
        meetup.

        Ultimately, the freedom of information sharing, including
        free software, is the only viable path to the advancement
        of society.  Now is the time not only to defend freedom
        and free software, but to advocate, celebrate and share
        its accomplishments.  You are a key part of this
        movement's growth. Join us!

        Part 3 (Open Floor)
        We reserve time at the end of meetings to answer
        technical questions about GNU/Linux and discuss
        topics of interest to those in attendance.

Transportation & Parking

        The Akamai office is a short walk from the Kendall
        Square T stop and other public transportation.

        Metered parking should be available near our
        location.

More Events & Announcements

        Northeast GNU/Linuxfest March 16-17 at Harvard University
          http://www.northeastlinuxfest.org/

        LibrePlanet March 23-24 at Harvard University:
          http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2013

        April BLU Desktop GNU/Linux SIG Meeting
          Tentative topic: Rooting Your Android Device
          Come to the March meeting for more info and to let
          us know if you would like a meetup on this topic.