BLU Desktop GNU/Linux SIG Meeting - How & Why to Root Your Android Device - Weds, Apr 3, 2013

Will Rico willrico at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 12:58:28 EDT 2013

When: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:30PM

Location: Akamai, 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA ­

Directions
http://www.akamai.com/html/about/driving_directions.html

Notes

        1) Please note the location is different from our
           standard MIT meeting location.

        2) Akamai has generously agreed to provide space
           and 'free as in food' for this meeting.
           Thank you to our sponsor!
           http://www.akamai.com/

Summary

        How & Why to Root Your Android Device and/or
        Install ROMs/Radios

Abstract

        Thanks to Android's use of Linux for its
        kernel, Linux is the most popular operating
        system in use by consumers in the world.

        However, many people aren't taking advantage
        of the freedom this permits, but rather
        allowing themselves to be walled in by the
        proprietary interfaces that come with their
        Android devices.

        For April's meetup, we introduce you to a man
        with the keys to set you free.  Adam Stroud is
        the lead developer at RunKeeper and author of
        Professional Android Sensor Programming. He is
        a self-proclaimed "phandroid" and is an active
        participant in the Android virtual community on
        StackOverflow and Android Google groups.

Presentation Outline

        -- Why root/modify your Android device?
        -- What's the difference between "rooting" and
           installing a ROM or radio?
        -- Cool things you can do once your device is rooted
        -- Demonstration of rooting a device
        -- Q&A

Transportation & Parking

        The Akamai office is a short walk from the Kendall
        Square T stop and other public transportation.

        Metered parking should be available near our
        location.

More Events & Announcements

        Northeast GNU/Linuxfest March 16-17 at Harvard University
          http://www.northeastlinuxfest.org/

        BLU meeting on ClusterFS, Wednesday, March 20
          http://www.blu.org/cgi-bin/calendar/2013-mar

        LibrePlanet March 23-24 at Harvard University:
          http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2013

        Contact sales at fsf.org if you'd like to volunteer at
        LibrePlanet. Free admission is available for volunteers.