dip connections

Dale R Worley worley at world.std.com
Fri Oct 20 09:45:25 EDT 1995

   From: Mark Hertel <mhertel at cs.uml.edu>

   I had a similar problem where ping worked but other network programs
   failed.  I found it was caused by my setting the dip script to be in
   mode slip and tiac expecting cslip.

Yes, that's right.  I had it myself once, but I'd forgotten about it.
Another distinctive symptom is that telnets connect, and then crash,
rather than simply not connecting, or connecting, working for a while,
and then crashing.

(The reason is that header compression causes the second packet to or
from a given destination to be misinterpreted.  So the ping/response
pair for ping always works, and the request/connect pair at the
beginning of a TCP connection always works, but the later (data)
packets sent on a TCP connection never get through.)

Dale