The announcement of QUAKE for Alpha/Linux

Jon 'maddog' Hall, USG Senior Leader hall at zk3.dec.com
Tue Aug 13 16:24:11 EDT 1996

Hello,

One of the great "games" of Linux has been the game DOOM.  Created by Id,
DOOM managed to capture the attention of a lot of people, including Master
Linus Torvalds.

Id created a follow-on game called QUAKE, which is far superior to DOOM both in
graphics and network capabilities.

While this program came out on Intel Linux a month or so ago, it is now
available
on Alpha systems which have the proper graphics cards.

The port was done by Dave Taylor, of Crack.Com, the original porter of DOOM
to Unix Systems, and is available free over the net.

While I have not played it (I am not into "games"), several notables whose
letters below have tried it.

And in the two years that I have known him, this was the first time that
I have seen Master Torvalds "desparate".  Fortunately he is now "Sated".

Many thanks to David Taylor of Crack.Com, Id, and Digital Equipment Corporation
(for lending the equipment) in having QUAKE ported.

Warmest regards,

maddog
====