Error mesg on boot, 1.2.13 kernel

Paul E. Ratty pratty at tiac.net
Sat Aug 17 07:33:48 EDT 1996

Hi

I sure hope someone here can help me out. I have had this problem from day
one. I have an AST Advantage pro 486-DX66 with
20M RAM
WD 1GB IDE HD
WD 340KB IDE HD

On boot up using the Ygdrassill distribution of linux I will see this error
message on the screen.

IDE1:unexpected_intr:status=0x40
IDE1:unexpected_intr:status=0x40
IDE1:unexpected_intr:status=0x40

This will repeat over and over with an occasional line of
0x250.IDE1:unexpected_intr:status=0x40

thrown in, with the 0x???.IDE1:unexpected_intr:status=0x40

being a different number each time.

Now in the beginning it would have happen for about 5-10 minutes and then
boot into linux.

But now I can not boot into linux at all. This error will continue on
forever I think. I once let it run over night with not luck.

My question is : What is the reference to unexpected_intr:0x40.

I am using OnTrac's disk manager.

I do have some bad sectors on the primary drive, could linux be getting
hung up on these blocks. If so how do I get around this?

Thanks,

Paul