TCP problems with 2.0.x

Rodney Thayer rodney at sabletech.com
Sat Aug 17 07:46:49 EDT 1996

because when the intervening internet, or the ISP, or the machine at the
client end decided to go into an inappropriately quiescient state you get
some kicks that have a chance of getting it out of that state.

obviously this depends on what the code does in keepalive processing (for
example, is it smart enough to react to a returning "port unreachable" icmp
message)

Trust me, it would be more preferrable than what I do to the poor support
people at my ISP when POP3 decides to hose up in my face (right, Rich?)

At 01:51 AM 8/17/96 -0000, you wrote:

>Rodney Thayer wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:
>
> RT> Rich Braun was talking about TCP problems.  Does anyone know
> RT> if the servers involved (like POP3D) use the TCP Keepalive
> RT> option?  should they?  could they?
>
>POP is inherently message granular.  Why bother with keepalive?
>
>-- Mike

               Rodney Thayer <rodney at sabletech.com>       +1 617 332 7292
               Sable Technology Corp, 246 Walnut St., Newton MA 02160 USA
               Fax: +1 617 332 7970           http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"