Another "freee" Unix

Jerry Feldman gaf at thurien.bcs.org
Tue Aug 20 18:14:35 EDT 1996

I won't spend too much bandwidth here, but yesterday, SCO made Unix free
to students and educators. However, this does not include source code
licenses. Does not include right to redistribute. A coworker made the
following observations:
" you aren't allowed to use it in making
a profit...that $0 price tag comes in pretty expensive.  When
Linux folks use the word "free" they aren't referring to the
price at all.... I am reminded of Iago's tirade after Jafar observed that
Gazeem's failure to enter the Cave of Wonder indicated he
was "less than worthy"...  =)"

After reading the announcement, I didn't know whether to regurgitate or
ROTFLMAO.
"Alok Mohan, SCOhistory that the owner of the technology has made this
offer. The last time this happened, a
$60-billion-dollar industry was born."
---- From the SCO announcement:
UNIX UNBOUND!

SCO Provides FREE UNIX System Licenses To Students, Educators and UNIX
Enthusiasts
                            Around The World
For those that might be interested, here is the
URL:http://www3.sco.com/Company/Announce/p081996e.htm