Packet fragmentation in 2.0

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Tue Jul 30 10:28:33 EDT 1996

Ever since we upgraded our main server to 2.0, there has been a problem
with misdirected packet fragments on connections which have an intermediate
hop with a smaller MTU (packet segment size) setting than the remote
system's packet size.

I'm wondering if there is a patch available to fix this problem yet, or
if anyone else has observed this.  It causes mysterious, unpredictable
(but repeatable for any given file transfer) timeouts on TCP/IP connections
(like POP3, ftp or web).  The problem first appeared in 1.3.66 or thereabouts.

-rich