[Q] tar - Mode or device-type changed

Bosco So bso at acm.org
Tue Nov 12 23:37:47 EST 1996

>The reason /tmp differs is probably because tar itself is using it.  There
is
>no point to archiving /tmp or /var/tmp, which are, well, temporary.
>
>There is no point to using tar on things in the /dev hierarchy.  You
should
>exclude all of /dev when creating the archive.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to move/resize a partition as simply as
possible.  What I did was to boot up on hda3, mount hda2 as /mnt/2/, and
tarred from within there.  Since I booted from hda3 and was using was using
it as root, /mnt/2/tmp and /mnt/var/tmp should not have been affected.

Anyways, lets move on to /dev.

Lets say I exclude /dev when I tar hda2.  Then I subsequently trash hda2.
If I restore hda2 from the tar archive and then try to boot from hda2, will
Linux build all the /dev devices on the fly during startup?  If not, what
happens?

-- Bosco