Networking

Rodney Thayer rodney at sabletech.com
Wed Sep 18 11:13:30 EDT 1996

will Linux do IP over Appletalk?  That is (ug) what my kid's school is doing
for Net Day.

I'd love to be able to walk in and bring up a Linux box on the net...

At 08:31 PM 9/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>> 	I would like to use linux for a small network consisting of
>>
>> 	1. An old Mac II
>> 	2. Apple LaserWriter IINT printer (Connected via LocalTalk
>> 		to the Mac II)
>> 	3. A 486 DX2 with linux installed.
>> 	4. A pentium pro 200 with NT installed.
>>
>> 	I would appreciate some help on how to do this. Thanks.
>
>Linux will do TCP/IP (NFS,SMB,lpr) and AppleTalk over Ethernet.
>NT will too, and you can buy a LocalTalk card for it.
>The Mac is junk, but maybe you can get Ethernet for it.
>The Mac will do AppleTalk and TCP/IP over Ethernet.
>If you must, you can connect the Mac to the NT box with LocalTalk.
>Note that LocalTalk is _slow_ and should be considered obsolete.

               Rodney Thayer <rodney at sabletech.com>       +1 617 332 7292
               Sable Technology Corp, 246 Walnut St., Newton MA 02160 USA
               Fax: +1 617 332 7970           http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"