Stopping and re-starting Samba

Derek Martin dmartin at LanCity.COM
Fri Aug 27 11:41:27 EDT 1999

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Phil Buckley wrote:

> Is there a method to stop samba and restart it - like you can with
> httpd?
>
> If so, what is the syntax.

If you're on a RedHat system, or one with a similar SysV init,

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

You can also do it in one step by doing a restart instead of stop and
start, but I find that with some subsystems, this doesn't always seem to
be effective.  I'm not sure why but I suspect that it doesn't wait long
enough for existing processes to finish dying.

Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-