Mouse config problem (was Re:Looking for assistance) (fwd)

Jerry Feldman {75562} gzf at gbrmail.msd.ray.com
Fri Nov 12 13:43:21 EST 1999

Matthew J Brodeur wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, John Abreau wrote:
>
> > From: Pierce C. Barnard <pbarnard at ultranet.com>
> >
> > Hi, I recently obtained Redhat V6.0 and installed it on an old pc that I
> > have.  I got everything to work, except the mouse.  For some reason it
> > keeps on going into the upper-right hand corner of the screen.  I opted to
> > use KDE as my desktop.  Can you help me?  Thank you.
>
>    This may sound too simple, but are you using the right protocol setting
> for the mouse you have?  I've seen strange behaviors come from, say,
> choosing the "Generic 2-button" setting for a Logitech 3 button mouse.
>    That's probably not the problem, but it's easy enough to check.  I'd
> just rerun Xconfigurator and select the closest match to the right mouse.
I agree with Mat.
You can probably fix this by simply editing the /etc/XF86Config (or
/etc/X11XF86Config) file.
This is for a PS/2 mouse. The Red Hat xconfigurator, XF86Setup or SuSE sax
will do this for you.

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "PS/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

Also I have heard of problems on some systems when using both GPM and X.
--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/