upgrading 486s BIOS

pfarrar at learningco.com pfarrar at learningco.com
Mon Nov 22 14:34:06 EST 1999

     Leslie,

     I have had mixed results with a SIIG BIOS card I bought.

     On a 33Mhz 486 - I was able to install a 1 Gig drive.  Later I tried
     the same card in a P60 for a 5 Gig drive, but couldn't use my CDROM
     anymore (Strange).  Not only couldn't the BIOS locate it, but Linux
     couldn't.  More recently I acquired a P90, which wouldn't recognize
     the 5 gig drive - and so, wouldn't boot without a floppy.  I installed
     the finicky BIOS card and now every thing works.

     So I guess it's hit or miss, but it's not outside of the realm of
     possibilities.

     Peter

     P.S. what does that mean, "Linux cannot be installed via a secondary
     BIOS"?