Help building a new kernel...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 8 09:16:44 EDT 1999

Christoph <linuxguy at ici.net> writes:

> 	2) What is the function of /boot/initrd-xxxxxxxxx?
> 	   There exists such a file for the supplied and installed kernel,
> 	   but not for my newly built kernel.  Where does it come from?

This is the Initial RAMDISK which is used for modules that are
required at boot time.  For example, if you have a SCSI controller,
build the driver as a module, and you boot off a SCSI drive, then
you'll need to use an initial ramdisk to store the SCSI driver module.
Read the 'mkinitrd' manpage for more information.

-derek

PS: I do not know how to set the version number to something like
2.x.y-z.  Sorry.

-