Thank you for all of your help...

Brian Conway dogbert at clue4all.net
Sat Oct 9 18:53:57 EDT 1999

> First of all let me say thanks for the all the help I got at the
> install-fest today.. You guys are really knowledgable... Ok now for the
> first two of the miles of stupid questions I will be asking... number
> one... How do I enable DNS on my box.. I can ping to my hearts delight but
> no DNS... I know one part is to make sure there is a resolv.conf in /etc
> but is there anything else... Second newbie question is.. where is the

If you're just in need of dns for accessing the internet when you have a
connection in use, then the easiest way to get things done would be to
edit /etc/resolv.conf and add nameservers of your ISP.  To run a
nameserver on your machine, check out BIND at www.isc.org.  You can find
the information for setup there.  It shouldn't be too difficult.

> CD-ROM burner software...? And is it easy for a super novice to install...
> I wear loafers because I have a hard time with laces... hehehehe... Thanks
> once again for today...

My recording software of choice is Xcdroast.  It's an excellent frontend
for cdrecord and mkisofs, and includes the necessary software for
anything you need to do.  The setup is a little bit of work, and
involves compiling scsi emulation into your kernel for use with your
cd-r drive, but it's all spelled out in the READMEs.  There are other
packages that you might be best searching freshmeat.net for, Gcombust is
the name of one of them, I believe.  They use most of the same setup,
but I can only speak for Xcdroast.  Hope that helps.

Brian Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net

                -- Henry Spencer
-