which ink-jet printers is Ghostscript compatible with?

Glenn Burkhardt glenn at aoi.ultranet.com
Wed Oct 20 08:55:51 EDT 1999

>    Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:56:39 -0400
>    From: Glenn Burkhardt <glenn at aoi.ultranet.com>
>
>    However, beware of printers that require the CPU to do the bulk of
>    the work.  Just as there are WinModems, there are WinPrinters
>    (e.g., the Lexmark 1100).  These printers won't work with Linux (or
>    DOS only machines, for that matter).
>
> What's the difference between a winprinter and a printer that requires
> the software to essentially specify every dot?  For example, the Epson
> Stylus Photo EX does require me to specify every dot when printing
> graphics, but I have a perfectly good Gimp driver for it (in the Print
> plugin that Mike Sweet originally wrote, and that I hacked
> extensively).  Don't most non-PS printers require heavy CPU processing
> for graphics?  Or is a winprinter nothing more than a printer with a
> proprietary, unpublished control language?
>
> BTW, anyone who wants to experiment with my modified plugin can
> download it from http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/print.tar.gz.
>
> --
> Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

My definition of a WinPrinter is one that doesn't accept a file copied to the
printer port.  If one is running a DOS only machine, the command

	copy file lpt1:

doesn't work with the Lexmark 1100.  If one is running Linux, the command

	cp file /dev/lp1

doesn't work.  But for $50, they have to eliminate as much electronics from the
printer as possible.

-