ethernet probs still...help me in person??

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Feb 15 22:01:07 EST 2000

Again, I would try doing a dhclient by hand in debug mode and see what
happens. If you have an ethernet address on eth0, then it shows that your
dhclient worked. You may need to further configure your dhclient. Not being
familiar with the PPC, you need to make sure that dhclient is sending the
correct MAC address (eg. ethernet address) to the dhcp server.
Josh Forman wrote:
> on 2/15/2000 9:24 PM, Brad Noyes at brad at 110.net wrote:
>
> > The problem seems to be that eth0 is not brought up on boot, (that's not a
> > problem) and when it is brought up it doesn't work properly. Perhaps you to
> > should re-install dhcp. Do you get any error messages? Do you have you name
> > server set up? What sort of tests are you running to see it eth0 is working
> ?
> > Let us know what you've tried.  When you try to start dhcpcd, run ifconfig
> and
> > see if you an IP address of any kind. I've never used yellow dog, but there
> > should some admin utility for setting up network.
>
> Bringing up interface eth0 fails.  After I boot up, I tried typing dhcpcd,
> and nothing happens... after a few minutes, it times out.  I think the log
> says that it failed to receive a DHCP response.  ifconfig shows my ethernet
> address (so it's gotta be seeing it....that doesnt't help clarify
> things)....but not an IP address.
>
> I tried doing a net install, but it failed to find the file on the server.
> LOoks like it was working then, but maybe it wasn't. :( (no dhcp ---> "not
> found" errors???)
> --
> Josh Forman
>
> Webmaster, joshforman.com
> Palm stuff, Mac stuff, Josh stuff, other stuff
> Reviews, resources and more!
>
> http://www.joshforman.com/
>

> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>