GNU -- G'no way...

Derek Martin dmartin at ne.arris-i.com
Sat Feb 19 13:56:12 EST 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was lecturing to my students yesterday and was asked 'what does GNU
> stand for?'. My response was the standard line -- "Gnu Not Unix." My
> English Majors (students) said, 'You cannot include the name of the
> definition in the definition'. I responded, "Programmers can...ever
> hear of recursion?"
>
> My question... was I being a smart S or a revolutionary? OR!! Am I wrong
> entirely?

You're right on the mark dude. From the GNU Manifesto:

  GNU, which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for the complete
  Unix-compatible software system which I am writing so that I can give it
  away free to everyone who can use it.  Several other volunteers are
  helping me. Contributions of time, money, programs and equipment are
  greatly needed.

See the text at http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"    "Who watches the watchmen?"
-Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347

Derek D. Martin      |  Senior UNIX Systems/Network Administrator
Arris Interactive    |  A Nortel Company
derekm at mediaone.net  |  dmartin at ne.arris-i.com